Thursday, August 1, 2013

Vegan Oatmeal Pancakes

I love pancakes. I can eat them any time of day.  There is something so comforting and satisfying about them.  I wish I could take credit for these pancakes, but alas, I cannot.  I got the recipe from Vegetarian Times 2013 issue, courtesy of Mary Shore. The recipe won first place in the Reader Recipe contest.  First place?  Really?  They sound oatmeally and gummy.  I had to try them to discover what qualifies as first place.   Well good golly, they're delicious!  Hearty without being gummy!  I cannot pin point what makes them taste so great, but they are da bomb.  I think turning the soy milk into "buttermilk" using apple cider vinegar is the culprit for these tasty cakes.   Give them a try.

*Tip: maple syrup is not friendly on the hips, so pour a couple of tablespoons on your plate as a "dip" instead of pouring a half of a cup over your pancakes.  And, I'm sure I don't have to mention not to use HFCS syrup, for crying out loud.

fluffy and delicious

Ingredients:

3/4 cup soymilk
2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1 T. Organic pure maple syrup (plus more for dip)
2 tsp. canola oil
1/2 cup steel cut oats (I used original Quaker oats)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (I used organic whole wheat pastry flour)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Directions:

Combine soymilk, vinegar, maple syrup, and oil in a small bowl.  Add oats and let soak 10  minutes.  Stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a separate mixing bowl.  Stir soymilk mixture into flour mixture.  Preheat large skillet or griddle over medium-high heat and lightly coat with oil.  Ladle 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake.  Cook 2-3 minutes on each side.  Makes 6-8 pancakes.  Two pancakes is 1 serving (196 cal.)  You know I ate more than two! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...