Thursday, August 1, 2013

Vegan Oatmeal Pancakes

I love pancakes. I can eat them any time of day.  There is something so comforting and satisfying about them.  I wish I could take credit for these pancakes, but alas, I cannot.  I got the recipe from Vegetarian Times 2013 issue, courtesy of Mary Shore. The recipe won first place in the Reader Recipe contest.  First place?  Really?  They sound oatmeally and gummy.  I had to try them to discover what qualifies as first place.   Well good golly, they're delicious!  Hearty without being gummy!  I cannot pin point what makes them taste so great, but they are da bomb.  I think turning the soy milk into "buttermilk" using apple cider vinegar is the culprit for these tasty cakes.   Give them a try.

*Tip: maple syrup is not friendly on the hips, so pour a couple of tablespoons on your plate as a "dip" instead of pouring a half of a cup over your pancakes.  And, I'm sure I don't have to mention not to use HFCS syrup, for crying out loud.

fluffy and delicious

Ingredients:

3/4 cup soymilk
2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1 T. Organic pure maple syrup (plus more for dip)
2 tsp. canola oil
1/2 cup steel cut oats (I used original Quaker oats)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (I used organic whole wheat pastry flour)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Directions:

Combine soymilk, vinegar, maple syrup, and oil in a small bowl.  Add oats and let soak 10  minutes.  Stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a separate mixing bowl.  Stir soymilk mixture into flour mixture.  Preheat large skillet or griddle over medium-high heat and lightly coat with oil.  Ladle 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake.  Cook 2-3 minutes on each side.  Makes 6-8 pancakes.  Two pancakes is 1 serving (196 cal.)  You know I ate more than two! 


1 comment:

eRecipe said...

I'd like to invite you to join our site www.erecipe.com . I really enjoy your blog and recipes and I think the over 8,000 unique daily visitors to eRecipe will too.
By joining eRecipe, we will provide the Nutrition Facts for every recipe you post in which you could customize and add to your blog. Viewers need and love to know the nutritional facts. Its a free service that we offer to blogs and recipes we really love. It looks professional and your members will love it.
Simply visit www.erecipe.com or contact me at michelle@erecipe.com. We look forward having you in our network!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...