Sunday, August 12, 2012

G-F Blueberry Quinoa Muffins

I don't have a gluten intolerance, but I like to eat gluten-free as much as possible.  I feel better and more energized when I leave out bread.  I still eat plenty of whole grains, don't get me wrong!  I love brown rice, oats, millet and quinoa.  Actually, quinoa is not a grain, it's a seed related to the spinach plant.  It has a nutty, ricey flavor.  I love these muffin because they are gluten-free and packed with protein.  And you know me, I love blueberries and think they should be eaten every day for their many benefits.   These muffins are sweetened with pure maple syrup, a favorite of mine.   No white flour or white sugar, yay!


Perfect protein, fiber snack!

Ingredients:
1 cup corn meal
1 cup of rice flour (or other g-f baking flour)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup of cooked quinoa (Hint: make sure to rinse the quinoa thoroughly before cooking and use water, not veggie or chicken stalk)
1/2 cup organic pure maple syrup
1/2 cup of rice or soy milk
1/2 cup of natural organic apple sauce
1 Tbl. of lemon juice
1/4 cup canola or safflower oil
1 cup of blueberries, fresh or frozen

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Use paper baking cups or grease muffin pan (makes 1 dozen).
In one bowl, mix together dry ingredients.  In a separate bowl mix the wet ingredients, plus the cooked quinoa.   Add wet mixture to dry mixture until just combined. Gently fold in blueberries.  Bake 20 minutes.
Yummers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...