Saturday, April 23, 2011

Sweet Cornbread

You know what's great about cornbread?  It's delicious with any meal, any time of day.   I like making my own cornbread because the ingredient list in store-bought mix cornbread is atrocious (lard, which is fat from pig intestines-gross!).  I have two very good recipes I make all the time.  One of them uses silken tofu, the other ground flax seeds.  Now, while I like these things and have them on hand, I didn't want to scare you away from making decent cornbread. So I combined and tweaked both recipes and came up with my very own version.  All ingredients can be found in your normal grocery store. Plus, you probably already have some of these items on hand.  This cornbread is deliciously sweet with with your savory dishes, or for breakfast, or a late night snack.  It's hearty and rich and full of fiber.  Enjoy!


Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups yellow corn meal
1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2/3 cup evaporated cane juice sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups of non-dairy milk (I use unsweetened soy milk)
1/4 cup unsweetened natural apple sauce
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon of canola or safflower oil

Preheat oven to 425°
First, mix the apple cider vinegar with the soy milk and set a aside to let thicken and turn to "buttermilk."  Mix all the dry ingredients thoroughly.   Add the milk mixture, apple sauce, and oil to the dry ingredients and stir well. Oil or spray 13x9 pan and bake for 20 minutes.  Serve plain or with pure maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...