Wednesday, April 13, 2011

"Fried" Zucchini

One of my favorites since I was a kid.  I had to find a healthier way to make this bar-food munchie.  The zucchini is baked instead of fried and less oil is used.  It works best if you have some kind of spritz bottle for spraying the oil.  Start with 3 zucchinis, slice in half, and then quarter each half.  Then you will need two bowls, one for the dry ingredients and one for the wet.  Last, you will need a cookie sheet.  I have a stone, which I think works best.  And here is a final tip:  take these babies out of the oven pronto and eat immediately!  They continue to cook when out of the oven.  Enjoy with a cold one, and you'll feel like you're at your favorite pub (only without so much fat and salt) Yay!


First bowl:
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 Tablespoons of yellow corn meal
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
pepper

Second bowl:
1 egg white and 2 Tablespoons of water, whisked

Spray baking sheet with canola oil and preheat oven to 475°
Dip zucchini in egg white, then dredge in flour mixture, tap off excess
Arrange on baking sheet, not touching
Spray all exposed sides with canola oil
Bake for 7 minutes, then turn and bake for 5 more.  (If you are using a stone, you don't have to turn them)
Only bake for 12 minutes total.  Do not over bake.  Serve hot with my Ranch Dressing.

1 comment:

Kim said...

You have made these for me before and I love 'em!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...